Shit You Should Know

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

While Visions Of Owls Danced In My Head?

As mentioned in a previous post, I feel the need to enlighten you all on the topic of owls. I know what the hell? Owls? Yes, owls. If I didn’t talk about random things from time to time, my blog would not be a true representation of who I am.


I know a lot of people that have a certain animal that seems to be their lucky charm or even a familiar. A friend of mine says her lucky charm is the ladybug. Mine is the owl. Although I do not see them necessarily as a sort of lucky charm or even a harbinger of doom (even though certain sources seem to claim otherwise), I often dream about them or see them in my alert state of mind.
They always seem to hang out in trees near my house. When I was a kid I used to see one outside my window often. It would stay perched on the chain link fence that ran along the side of my home. I think it lived in the large tree in our neighbor’s backyard. Some nights I would hear it and rush over to the window to look out. Sometimes it would appear as if it were looking back at me.
When my sister was born, my parents moved me into the larger, front bedroom. One night I heard it and I pulled the blinds expecting it to be perched on the fence. Instead, it was perched right on my window sill staring at me. It never seemed startled by me.  I was sure it was Owl from Pooh Corner just hanging around because he knew I was awesome.  Maybe he wanted to extend an invitation back to his tree house.
Another encounter was when my cousin and I went into the aviary exhibit at the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. We were “lucky” enough to see an owl spit up a pellet right in front of us. It was disgusting and amusing all at the same time. I guess for someone who likes to visit Rotten.com, a little pellet here and there is nothing.
Ok…that was just silly but if you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time you know I’m a silly sort of person.

Most people hear owls; I always seem to see them. They always seem to nest nearby. The most interesting encounter I ever had with an owl was about eight years ago.
My husband and I were driving along the levees in the New Orleans area. Occasionally, a deer or a stray dog will run into the path of an oncoming vehicle but on this day as we came around a turn our headlights caught the glowing eyes of an enormous barred owl. My husband slammed on his brakes. The owl starred at us for a few seconds before spreading its immense graceful wings and flying into the woods that ran along the road.

We just sat there in the middle of the road stunned. I had never seen anything like that before or since. The thing about barred owls is they are normally only heard. I would have been less surprised if there had been an animal carcass in the road but there was nothing. I suppose it could have chased a mouse out into the street. If you would have seen it, it was almost as if it was hanging out just waiting for us to come around that corner.

An old Cajun myth is that owls are ancestors and should be respected. My issue is why the hell are everybody’s ancestors hanging out by me? Could you all do a séance or get a Ouija board and call your ancestors over to your own houses?
Whenever I have one of those dreams that someone is standing over me while I sleep, at least 8 out of 10 times I will hear an owl outside my window. Maybe I dream of the owl too but the point is I hear it.
Another vivid “owl” dream memory I have is when it is perched on my bed frame looking down at me. On some occurrences, it flies around the room occasionally swooping down towards me. These dreams are usually disturbing because I find myself frozen in bed in a state of fear. I have trouble deciding whether or not it is a dream or not.

The book The Dictionary of Dreams by Gustavus Hindman Miller says this about the presence of an owl in your dream:

“To hear the solemn, unearthly sound of the muffled voice of an owl, warns dreamers that  death creeps closely in the wake of health and joy. Precaution should be taken that life is not ruthlessly exposed to his unyielding grasp. Bad tidings of the absent will surely follow this dream.

To see a dead owl, denotes a narrow escape from desperate illness or death.


To see an owl, foretells that you will be secretly maligned and be in danger from enemies.”

Regardless of what the significance of the owl is, it is a constant in my life. In this world of continuous change, the owl is a sort of spirit guide for me. Since the owl seems to represent wisdom, I am proud to have it in my life even though birds (or anything that has talons and could quite possibly be a raptor in midget form) scare the Shiitake mushrooms out of me.
Seriously!  Do these not look like the feet of something that will fucking eat you?!?!?!


5 comments:

  1. I have never seen a real life owl outside of a zoo or a cartoon. I feel quite deprived now. You know, they claim that having an owl stare at you through a window means that someone you know is going to die. It must have been like the period of the black plague living around you when you were a kid. They probably had to come by with a wheel-barrow in the mornings to collect the dead bodies that were heaped up all over the neighborhood. They were probably putting together a torch and pitchfork mob to get rid of you while you were up and your room giggling and telling secrets with your bestest owl friend.

    Honestly, I chalk all these ominous portends, such as the entry in the dreamer dictionary there, all up to the fact that the owl is a nocturnal creature and a little freaky, but I think they're pretty cool. They're cute AND interesting looking. Yeah, owls are good people in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ Bryan. That made me think of the scene from Monty Python and The Holy Grail..."Bring out your dead!"
    I'm not a fan of birds...never have been. I was terrified of my friend's parakeets as a kid. As a rule of thumb, talons are bad. Owls are intriguing and fun to watch as long as there is some sort of barrier between us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have scops owls around here, but I've never actually seen one, I only hear them at night. They sound really funny, they make kind of like a "bleep", not the typical "hoot" sound that owls usually make. Whatever kind, I don't think I would like one to sit outside my window and stare at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always believed in animal guides. Mine is a fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it a portent of when an owl dive bombs your head? Maybe I have mice in my hats and don't realize it. But I have had several close calls with owls in my life. And some of those suckers are huge! I nearly soiled me armor...

    ReplyDelete

We have all got opinions. What are yours?