Shit You Should Know

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Don't Be A Drag...

Driving down the street the other day, I actually broke away from my IPod and clicked on the radio. That’s unusual for a few reasons. 1.) Music today, to me, (this is me being old) has lost a lot of its originality. Instead of being unique, they try to mimic and then one up their musical influences. Boring! I know this is nothing new but it just seems much more prevalent. 2.) The typical radio stations around here play the “hits” aka crap or country or Christian…also, crap. 3.) The few classic rock stations that I am able to get around here (and I use the term “classic” loosely since it plays songs from the 80s and 90s) are so static-y that half the time I don’t even bother.

My kids, on the other hand, are typically like any other generation. They think the “new” music is so amazing and original. I have to bite my tongue sometimes because they tend to get really offended when I insult their musical preferences. I have to remind myself that my parents probably hated my choices too.

My son has a pretty decent grasp of music…in my opinion…as in he likes many of the things that my husband and I enjoy. Although, he does like Katy Perry. Of course, he reminds me every time he sees the Addidas or Proactiv commercials that it’s just because she’s hot.

My daughter on the other hand has definite elementary school girl taste. She likes to listen to Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Justin Beiber, and Ke$ha (yes, the chick with a dollar sign in her name…how the fuck do you even pronounce that???). I don’t think this group is talentless. I just think that their songs lack substance. Counting Crows they are not.  Again, elementary school girl taste...I mean, I liked New Kids on the Block when I was her age.
There is a fourth reason I end up listening to the radio. 4.) I forgot my IPod at home. Oops!  This is exactly how I gotstuck listening to the radio this time.

So, yeah, the car ride…

We end up listening to this…


Oh, Gaga! Even though, you try to capture us with your shock and awe, I can’t help but feel like I’ve seen and heard this all before…most recently Madonna. To be more specific, isn’t “Born This Way” just an updated cross version of “Express Yourself” and "Vogue" anyway? Seriously, have you listened to this, Gaga?




I suppose it could be worse. It could be this.



I’ll just take this Friday. Thank you very much.



I’ll leave you with eight words of wisdom…

“Don’t be a drag, just be a queen.”

Well said, Gaga. Well said.

13 comments:

  1. lol - oh brother...this post reminded me of all the times "turn that DOWN" was screamed across the house when I was growing up. My mother's toes must have curled and blood must have come out of her ears. =)

    I love music, but I don't get a chance to listen to it very often. I can listen to most anything. Well, except most religious music...I'm not religious so the message is lost on me or makes me yell nasty things at the radio.... =) My iPod is a cluster fuck of different music...

    However...I don't care what hateful brainwashing mainstream radio pushes...I am not classical. And to all the "antiques" dealers that have shit in their stores that I played with as a kid...I'm not a fucking antique either. =) xo Hope you are sleeping better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure what to think about Lady Gaga, just when I think she has completely ridden the Gary Busey train straight into crazy town, she turns around and does something awesome like dropping EVERYTHING to make sure everyone supported Japan after their recent disaster - not to mention her awesome support for the LBGT community.

    As far as the others, meh, not so much. I think the only band from the last several years I will even give a listen to is The Editors, mostly because I am convinced that Tom Smith is the reincarnation of Ian Curtis from Joy Division. And I will not hesitate to tell my kids that this new stuff SUCKS! And they are not allowed to listen to it in my presence. ever. ever.

    *skips off singing "SATURDAYYYY WAIT!"*

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you said our generation was Madonna. This generation is Gaga. Unfortunately for Gaga she has talent but it gets lost in her absurdity. My boys are still too young to mainstream radio but I fear the days ahead. I miss the days of Doors, Stones and Led Zep. Call me old, but that was rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter went through a "Miley" phase, but her tastes have improved. As for Lady Gaga, I hate to admit it, but some of her songs are kind of catchy. There is a Madonna-esque quality, but then I was never crazy about Madonna anyway.

    It's funny about your closing line, since there's rumors floating around the internet that she's really a man in drag. I usually don't put much stock in internet rumors, but this time I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to think I have a pretty diverse taste in music...I can usually tolerate most anything...but I can't stand Lady Gaga...by the middle of any of her songs I'm ready to dig my eyeballs out...Not only do her songs annoy me, listening to her being interviewed is torture...I know you're tempted to youtube an interview...Don't Do It

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so with you - Gaga is just an updated remake of Madonna. She's highly irritating!!

    BTW, I got a *postcard from Oklahoma* today!!!!!!!! YEEEE HAAWWW!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Let's have fun, this date is sick. I wanna take a ride on your disco stick." Lady Gaga is lacking in the creativity department. She has nothing to sing about, so she sings about sex because it sells. Well done, Gaga. *that is sarcasm*

    And I will admit. I love that Ke$ha song called, "Dinosaur." But it's so catchy. And it's funny. And very appropriate to bars in Austin. Still, I didn't think Ke$ha was elementary school girl level music. Ke$ha is kind of...a torn up, ratty haired prostitute. No offense to anyone who follows her music as a fan...but really. Have you seen her?

    As for Rebecca Black. "We so excited." Yeah...there's something wrong with her music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jewell I know, right? I never thought I'd see the day when they were considering bands like Nirvana classic rock. Can't we just call it "not new"? It makes me feel less old.
    @RM I am by no means trying to downplay the things Gaga does for causes. I'm just not a fan of her music...although, I do find myself with her songs stuck in my head at times.
    @Debs Yep, THAT was rock. ~sigh~
    @Bryan That line is catchy. It reminds me of Vogue so much. I've heard the rumors and I think people need to stop worrying about it.
    @Katie I am so going to youtube RIGHT NOW. I'm a glutton for punishment.
    @Tricia I'm glad you got it. I was beginning to wonder.
    @Chanel Appropriate for little kids Ke$ha is not. The only thing elementary school about her music is it seems like a 3rd grader wrote it...albeit a 3rd grader with a crack whore mom and child molester dad. Problem is it is all over the radio and hard to avoid. My kids like to buy those NOW That's What I Call Music CD compilations and she's been on the last few. BLAH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, my older sister bought the first ten NOW CDs and I hated them! Are they still making those???

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Chanel Unfortunately, they are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, when you start making fun of the music "kids these days" listen to, you are officially old.

    Old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Doug Thanks for the reminder. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eh, she picked the name Lady GAGA not because Coochie-Coochie-Coo was taken, but because of Queen's song named Radio Gaga. Capisce? And you're the one who's talking about how old music was better than todays, well I don't second that, but bitch, you don't even know about one of the most famous Queen song. P.S. Express yourself and Born This Way.. Ofcourse they SOUND-ALIKE (and by that I don't mean anything is copied), cause Gaga repeated 100x times that Madonna is her idol. And music can not be created without any idols or influences.

    ReplyDelete

We have all got opinions. What are yours?